Some moments feels like they should last forever, frozen in time. But they are over too fast and all that remains is the memory…and the photo. I can’t bottle these moments but at least I can shoot them.

One of my favourite photos of the Hawk Dreaming raw files I have developed so far, is a simple against the light scene shot just after sunrise:

Click to see large size on my gallery! Copyright Flemming Bo Jensen Photography

Field of Hawk Dreams
© Flemming Bo Jensen Photography

My eyes are always naturally attracted to against-the-light scenes; it must be my love of the sun. I love the light, the colours and the tall golden spinifex grass in this panorama. It is a personal favourite however because of the memory. The memory of standing here on this gorgeous morning; warm soft rising sun in my face, gentle warm wind against my body, the sound of birds and insects in my ears and my finger tips on my outstretched hands touching the moving waves of grass. Freeze time. Hope the future never comes.

The future came but at least I still have the memory and the photo. And I feel quite grateful for being able to connect so deeply with the amazing nature in the amazing Hawk Dreaming. Connect, experience and capture nature’s magic.

For me; this is what landscape photography is all about.

Shooting against the light

This is a fairly simple against the light shot. The trick is getting the angle right. You can’t have the sun in the frame because it will overpower everything. But you want the front-lit effect, so you position the sun just out of frame and move sideways till you have the right composition and light and no internal lens reflections. One step can make all the difference! Get this right and exposure is easy and you will love the results.

9 thoughts on “What’s it all about? This is what it’s all about!

amazing light once again Flem,
    love the hazy hills in the distance.
    great detail through the spinifex

Thanks so much Stephen. Yeah there was a thick mist hanging over the lake and it hasn't been burned away completely yet in this photo and that adds to the special light.

3. tonymiddleton 11 years ago

Beautiful light in this Flemming – I can see why you like it so much. The balance of the pandanus and the rocky outcrop/hills in the background work perfectly.

Thanks very much Tony! Was a pretty perfect morning with super light. This photo is so special to me as a memory I think I might get a huge canvas done for my living room.

5. Casey Smith 11 years ago

Flemming I love your outback photos, the thing about outback photos is that not one shot is the same, well excluding Uluru. But most places will always be different, Melbourne for eg will be the same each time you go back, but the outback landscape can change year in and year out and it will always be spectacular in the rich colors.

Hi Casey and thanks mate! My outback shots are so important to me so I'm very happy you like them, being a great outback photographer yourself!

7. Casey Smith 11 years ago

Thanks Flemming thats great that you say that.
    I am not sure how much of my outback stuff you have looked at, but my favourite shot would have to be this one. I knew as soon as I saw the trannie it was a winner.

I can also undersatnd your pain in waiting for film, I hate it, but I also get excited too.

I have about 24 rolls from here to send to Sydney on Wednesday morning and I should hve them back on the following Monday. But I wont be adding them to my site straight away.

Looked at all your shots mate! That windmill shot is brilliant, I am still looking for my 'windmill' shot but haven't found it yet. I think I need to bring one with me so I can create that perfect windmill shot that I have in my head!
    I also really like your NT shots.

9. Casey Smith 11 years ago

Good luck and I hope you find it. Again thank you.