What kind of gear do you use?
I get asked this a lot, so here is a page dedicated to wonderful gear! I use Fujifilm cameras exclusively for all my photography. I discovered the Fujifilm mirrorless system back in April 2011 when the original X100 came out. In May 2012 I sold all my DSLR gear and bought the newly released X-Pro1. I made a lot of music and travel work with the X-pro1 and in early 2013 I was fortunate to be contacted by Fujifilm Japan and asked to be an official ambassador for the Fujifilm X-system. I am grateful to Fujifilm for the support and very happy to be an ambassador for the Fujifilm mirrorless cameras, they are exceptionally well suited for my photography.
Gear that is always in my bag
- 2 x Fujifilm X-T3 cameras. I shoot prime lenses 99% of the time so it is a huge advantage to use two cameras so I do not have to constantly swap lenses.
- Fujinon XF16mm F1.4 lens. My preferred lens, I use it for more than 50% of my pictures. Absolutely love this lens, read more here.
- Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 lens. Not the fastest to focus, and my copy is 7 years old now and battered and worn, but the look from this fast lens is absolutely so wonderful, so full of character and it just gets better with age (like the photographer, cough cough).
- Fujinon XF50mm F2 lens. I do not use this a lot during gigs, but it is a great lens for getting a few live-portraits and it is very small and compact.
- Simplr Camera Straps model F1 is my preferred camera strap. They are light, strong and no-nonsense and it is super handy at gigs to be able to shorten and lengthen the straps so easy.
- Extra batteries and Flare Audio earplugs, oh and the bag also holds Boba Fett, headphones, keys to the kingdom, business cards, lens caps that mysteriously disappear and reappear, half eaten granola bars and Instax pictures of my better half and I.
Gear that is sometimes in my bag
- Fujinon XF90mm F2 lens. Fantastic prime that I bring if I know I might not be able to stand right next to the artists. Also great for shots from the back of the venue towards the stage, get some lights and hands in the air and compress the scene.
- Samyang 8mm fisheye. Great lens for wiiiiiiide view of the venue or from the back of the stage towards the crowd.
- Fujinon XF8-16mm F2.8 zoom lens. This is not a fisheye so it produces a wildly different view to the Samyang. It is good for venue shots where you do not want the distortion of the fisheye.
- Fujinon XF50-140mm F2.8 zoom lens. This is an outstanding lens that I do sometimes use, even though I dislike using zooms. I do usually bring the 90mm instead, but if I am locked in one spot or on a huge stage where the performers are a fair distance from me, this is a very handy lens.
- Amaran AL-M9 Mini Pocket LED Video Light. A tiny video light, for doing quick portraits backstage or in the venue before the show.
…and…why is there neon duct tape on my lenses? Because Neon Duct Tape Cures Lens Mounting Disability!
I had the chance this Summer to take the 100 megapixel Fujifilm GFX100 medium format camera for a big spin at a few festivals and made a movie about it: