Karijini National Park in the beautiful Pilbara region of Western Australia is home to incredible landscapes and gorgeous gorges’ (trying to be funny here!) that are some of the most photographed sites in Western Australia. The gorges of Karijini are incredible, beautiful and tremendous fun to climb around in but for photography I am going against the grain and prefer the topside. The gorges are cramped, walled in, claustrophobic and below the horizon. Not my style, not my love. I seek dimensionless wide open spaces with a huge sky where I can dream myself into a magical universe with no limits! So here is a slice of Karijini but not quite as most would know it!

A little short on time again; I shall let the images say whatever they have to say this week and just present a slideshow of three topside images from Karijini:

Click to see large size on my gallery! Copyright Flemming Bo Jensen Photography

Mt Vigors Sunset
© Flemming Bo Jensen Photography

Taking in a magical sunset after hiking through the bush and then a great 1 kilometre climb to the top of Mount Vigors with great Phil from RemTrek: highly recommended.  The view from up here is extraordinary offering a stunning 360 unimpeded view of Karijini. We got great clouds and light on this day and I was high on the whole climb up and down and during the shooting. Magical experience. The climb down and walk through the bush in pitch black conditions lit only by torch light and a million stars is a truly otherworldly experience.

Click to see large size on my gallery! Copyright Flemming Bo Jensen Photography

Karijini Gum Trees in early morning light
© Flemming Bo Jensen Photography

Karijini is also home to some very fine gum (eucalyptus) trees and I am happy to have captured this beauty bathed in the morning light.

Click to see large size on my gallery! Copyright Flemming Bo Jensen Photography

Karijini Red Dirt Road Dawn Cloudscape
© Flemming Bo Jensen Photography

On our last day in Karijini a big cloud system moved in and dumped rain on us later in the day. I have already blogged about this brilliant morning here, and present another image of the same morning. I can never get enough of dramatic skies like this one and if you look closely there’s still a touch of rainbow left here.

A short glimpse into my version of ‘the other’ Karijini. If you have been fortunate enough to visit, what is your favourite spot at Karijini National Park?

29 thoughts on “Capturing the other Karijini

1. thomasparkes 10 years ago

Looks like a stunning location Flemming.
    I find it much easier to photograph where it isn't so cramped.
    I love that Mt Vigors Sunset, just awesome.

Mt Vigors is amazing, if you get to Karijini you must do the trek up there – brilliant place!

2. danproud 10 years ago

great images flemming. Karinji is right up on my list of place to go next!

Thanks Dan, yeah there's a lot to shoot in gorgeous Karijini for sure – there's a reason Fletcher has covered every single cm2 up there 😀

Breath taking images Flemming – each has it's own special features. Such as the 'shard' of sublime light in the first image,
    the fantastic tree and it's enduring form beautifully lit and I love the light on the distant hills in the final image. Wonderful !

Thanks heaps Tony, glad you notice that light ray across the spinifix in the first image it is quite special!

4. truenorthmark 10 years ago

Nice work Bo!

Just back from the Rowleys…nice to see some more of your work up there.

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers Mark, will look at your blog later tonight, saw you had a few new ones up.

5. christianfletcher 10 years ago

I think the top image is my fav of your Flemming, best of the top side of Kazzas I have seen.

Thanks very much Christian, means a lot to me especially as you must have seen more of Karijini (and more photos) than most others. It was a very special day on Mt Vigors.

man I loved that Mt Vigors shot when you posted it a while back…. and yup, still love it!
    for me it's one of those images that stick in your mind and you can draw it out whenever you want and still remember the details. it's fantastic. bit of a weird explanation there but I think you'll know what I mean 🙂

the other 2 aren't too shabby either- but please excuse me for not wanting to look at them over the top one haha

Cheers Stephen, yes Mt Vigors is a real hero shot for me as well. A day with amazing conditions probably never to be repeated.

7. Rod Thomas 10 years ago

Are you for real… CRAP…. No, in all seriousness mate, awesome images… IT was great to be part of this famous CAKE adventure that I am sure will go down in history as one of the greatest expeditions ever in the history of great expeditions, mark my words.. Cant wait to do it all over again, some time REAL soon….

Talked about for generations, books, songs, camp fire tales…the legend lives on!

8. Michael 10 years ago

Hey Flemming,
    Good work, it`s too hard to deciede if it`s better upstairs or downstairs, Karijini is so magical and just gives me a whole spiritual feeling that I get lost and forget about the outside world. Mt Vigors is a great walk and the trek back to camp under the stars is another topic in itself. Thanks for the inspiration to get back there as soon as possible.

9. Bree McMillan 10 years ago

That early morning Gun Tree shot is just gorgeous!!! nice work

10. katieleigh 10 years ago

That first shot is gorgeous, the morning colours are stunning – perfect amount of contrast. I love it

11. davidbettini 10 years ago

Great to see some Karijini shots above the gorges. I reckon the areas general landscape is just as specky as down the gorges. You have certainly done the place justice Flemming.
    Cheers
    Dave

12. Beau Mitchell 10 years ago

Second one is my favourite. Although, they're all great images. Would love to get there one day!

13. chloe 10 years ago

i think your eucalyptus tree photo is an outstanding shot!
    what lens did you use to capture that one(?) 🙂

Thanks Chloé. All 3 shots were captured using the Canon 17-40 f/4.0 L lens. For the gum tree image it would have been brilliant to have the 17mm tilt shift lens. I would have tilted the focus plane and had everything from my feet to infinity in focus.

14. Joellazarito 10 years ago

very nice photos. ilike the quality and light angles…

15. davidbettini 10 years ago

Hey Flemming. The second pic of the tree is in my Pilbara book. You and I are the only people I know who have photographed it! Don't let the second out as to where it is though it's a real gem!
    Beautiful pics mate.
    Dave

Thanks very much Dave, that is quite cool 🙂 Must get your books when I get down under again. Rod Thomas was with me so he probably knows where the tree is as well, but we'll keep it under wraps 😀

16. Matt Lauder 10 years ago

Love that top image Flemming. This place looks amazing even two weeks wouldn't be long enough here.

Cheers Matt! You can shoot a lot in a week here as things are close to camp, but there's also so many places to shoot and discover one could keep coming back.

17. Cain Doherty 10 years ago

I've never been to Karijini – looking forward to when it happens though. The second shot is ace with the snaking lines through the shot and the glancing glow from the parched earth and tops of the spinifex in the foreground.