Last week in Broome, Western Australia, I had the pleasure of meeting up with Nigel Gaunt of Red Dirt Photography. In his 4WD we drove one hour North of Broome on a great orange outback dirt road taking us to the beautiful James Price Point, home of untouched beautiful coastline with deep ochre red rocks. And not a soul anywhere, well actually it was quite busy today as 3 other people was in a boat fishing!

I was lucky to visit this beautiful place last year as well, and get some great shots at high tide.  This time we caught James Price Point at low tide resulting in some brilliant reflections and the red rocks glowing alive at sunset. Nigel loves this place and I think he really considers it his spiritual home, it is a special and peaceful place that can offer a slice of magic and I agree with Nigel that James Price Point is truly special.

My best James Price Point image is from last year, but I am quite happy with this Primary Colours image:

James Price point shine - blog

This is just a single image cropped, looking at it now I sort of wished I shot this stitched to get more pixels. I was in a hurry though, as the good light on the rocks fades so quickly and it is a race against time to capture a few images let alone stitched panos! I think I prefer James Price Point at high tide. Although the reflections at low tide are fantastic, high tides offers action with large waves beating against the coast; a terrific contrast to the peaceful rocks.

The pristine beautiful James Price Point will be one of the places affected by the LNG gas hub if it goes ahead. Needless to say Nigel is deeply involved in the fight to save it. I really hope this beautiful place is saved, I somehow fear that if the mining companies get their foot in the door here, Kimberley as we know it will be gone. I will end with a few links, and let you make up your own mind about the matter:

Save The Kimberley

Wilderness Society – Kimberley campaign

Environs Kimberley

Environs Kimberley Facebook Cause

Hands off Country blog

14 thoughts on “Primary Colours at James Price Point

1. truenorthmark 9 years ago

Hi Bo,

NIce colours mate! Those reds are really hard to capture eh as they are sooooo red!

cheers Mark, and yes those reds are on fire so needs underexposure as to not burn out that so important red channel!

2. mervfrench 9 years ago

Not if it goes ahead,but when it goes ahead , its happening !!

Nothing wrong with this one Flemming , but I prefer the other one like you do.

as I understand it Merv, there is still a bit of hope left that it does not go ahead.

Glad you like it, but also glad you agree the old one is the best – you know quality mate 😀

3. Matt saul 9 years ago

Awesome colours! Can't wait to get up that way. Hopefully before too much industrial influence!

4. Red Handed 9 years ago

For up to date news and information about the proposal to build the biggest LNG precinct at Walmandan (James Price Point ) and the community of Broome's struggle to ensure that it does not happen. visit handsoffcountry.blogspot.com

Thanks very much – will add your link to my original post. Also I am happy to now know that the actual name of James Price Point is Walmandan.

5. Michael 9 years ago

Good thing you went ay??? Told you it would be worth it. Where are you now?

And quite right you were Michael ! 🙂 We did not catch any storms though, no rain at all!

I am presently in Kuala Lumpur, but on Monday I will be in Los Angeles commencing a US road trip!

nice Flem- very well controlled shot.
    and nice and simple as you love to get 🙂

Cheers Stephen! Simple works for me, the simpler the better almost – saw this great documentary SALT on a Qantas flight, awesome images of nothing by an Australian photographer, Murray something? His work was amazing.

7. Nigel 9 years ago

Kool colours Flemm, just as good as mine!! when i get round to processing it. lol
    A great day, sorry we could not do more.

Thanks Nigel and thanks for taking us up there! I will definitely be back in Broome, look forward to meeting up and go shooting again. All the best mate!