I am struggling to teach myself meditation but I practice every day as I want to learn. When I close my eyes and concentrate on breathing (I am using a breathing technique a freediver recommended me) a million images flash through my mind and voices echo within. I find it hard to reach a meditative state, dhyāna. This is my Cambodian monk friend Purt in a beautiful meditative pose, captured in natural soft afternoon light at Angkor Wat. I love portraits in natural light when possible. This is Dhyāna:

cambodia-meditate-purt

13 thoughts on “Meditation – Dhyāna

1. True North Mark 8 years ago

Ohhm…ooohm…oohhm…lesson 1 in meditation mate! 🙂

2. davidbettini 8 years ago

Beautiful

3. fettenberg 8 years ago

consider the thoughts as so many clouds…watch them go by…always return your focus to the inbreath and the outbreath…the monkey-mind should quiet down.

I will master it one day. "My autistic hyperactive mind brakes for no one" – I need a T-shirt

4. charlene 8 years ago

Don't fight it. Your mind will settle down when it's ready.

Rich coming from me, the constantly distracted, I know!

1. charlene 8 years ago

Ha! It's a lifelong journey i reckon!

(sorry, hit the wrong Reply button!)

5. fettenberg 8 years ago

All you need to do Bo is just show up and practice. You're meditating to enable you to direct your mind – not the other way around.

Thanks Frank. That's my goal, why I am doing it. To direct the mind. Quite a challenge, I wish I could offer people a view inside but then maybe not 🙂

6. Andrea Green 8 years ago

Hey Flemming, meditation is the most beautiful thing to do and when you find what works for you and you reach that place it's pretty amazing. When I first started meditating I thought you had to think of nothing (which is impossible) but then someone told me that you just need to focus on one thing. In your case you are trying breathing which is also what generally works best for me too, but there are actually different types of meditation. I think it's 7, but I know that there is breathing, sounds (OMMMM etc), focus ( like on a candle flame and you melt into the flame). I can't think of what else at the moment but if you like I do have notes somewhere I can find them for you. Different things work for different people. It's also something you can't rush and one day when it's ment to happen it will, just try not to get frustrated in the mean time.

7. Arthur 8 years ago

Don't worry about the thoughts, and don't make it a point not to have them. Meditation is not about not having any thoughts. They will always come, and go. You are to remain in your being-ness, as a silent awareness of all phenomena that comes and goes. The key is to stop trying to reach any state, and stop trying to be a certain way. Instead one should just enjoy the present moment of awareness. No-mind is a side-effect, not the goal. Lovely blog by the way 🙂