I am shamelessly lifting the title from Jon Krakauer’s brilliant book and Sean Penn’s equally brilliant movie about Christopher McCandless. The title is just so fitting for my quest to photograph the world’s untouched, remote and desolate landscapes and for my “back to nature” obsession.

Tuesday I take off Into The Wild. Namibia is the first stop in the next 3 months of travel and photography work that will also take me to Australia and ultimately Borneo. On Borneo in June I am working for 2-3 weeks for United Plantations; shooting their plantations and surrounding jungle on Borneo, documenting their eco sustainable production of palm oil. A very interesting assignment; I will be working alongside a Danish reporter with film crew shooting a documentary, while I take care of the landscape stills.

But first up in two days is the amazing otherworldly dunes, deserts and landscapes of Namibia! Will be out of this world spectacular to shoot this:

www.namibiatourism.com.na

Adventure and magical landscapes calls me. See you on the flipside!

Photo courtesy of Namibia Tourism Board – http://www.namibiatourism.com.na

28 thoughts on “Into The Wild

1. ashmantravels 10 years ago

that sounds exciting =D
    good luck man!!!

Thanks very much and thanks for your comment! Yeah should prove to be some very exciting months ahead, stay tuned to my blog if you would like to follow the updates!

2. André 10 years ago

Have fun and I'm sure you'll get some great photos.

3. Clint Baker 10 years ago

Great movie and u should have a great time!! cant wait to see the shots!!

Thanks very much Clint! Excited to see the shots myself and I love that book and movie.

4. goosetea 10 years ago

unfortunatelly those palm oil plantations are the main reason for cutting down Borneo jungle.

good luck with your trip!

Thanks very much and thanks for your comment!

Re. the Borneo jungle, running a sustainable production is apparently a very high priority for United Plantations. But yeah I'm curious to see how they go about doing this as well, will be interesting indeed.

5. Gudrun 10 years ago

Fantastic! See you tomorrow at 1pm!
    Tot siens!!!

have a good time Flem.
    look forward to tuning into your travels!
    gets me out of this city life and "into the wild" briefly! 🙂

Thanks very much Stephen !!! I'm no Jon Krakauer but will do my best to transport you Into The Wild through my writing and photography 😀

7. goosetea 10 years ago

> running a sustainable production is apparently a very high priority for United Plantations. But yeah I’m curious to see how they go about doing this as well, will be interesting indeed.

it's really good to hear that they care! at least they care.
    but still they need much land for plantations :-

national park ranger told me it is very good business, so they don't plan on stopping 🙁

however there are beautiful big buffalos in those plantations with birds riding on them 🙂

I'll let ya know on this blog how Borneo and the plantations are like, very curious myself!

8. michaelolive 10 years ago

Very jealous of the travels, sounds like it will be a great time. Enjoy the trip, looking forward to tuning in along the way and seeing the resulting photos. Back to the office for me tomorrow, bugger!

Cheers

Thanks very much Michael!!! I know about the office as well, know what you mean!

That was an incredible movie (have yet to read the book); and that's an incredible dune.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers Charlene, yeah fantastic movie and hopefully this photo trip will be equally fantastic! Dune's are coming up this Tuesday!

10. matthewinman 10 years ago

Have a great trip, are you on Fletch's Karajini Gig? If so I hope to see you there. Hope you get some good photos'.

11. atb2ds 10 years ago

You make me very jealous Fleming! Have a great trip. May it be another step towards the “full time gig” Cheers 🙂

12. Euphemia Ganiari 10 years ago

Hi,
    Saw your Namibia trip and, as a Namibia fan I would like to suggest Damaraland as a photo destination, along with the dunes of course. There is hidden beauty there. I have also emailed you but got the auto reply. Enjoy your trip, Namibia is a comeback. Like the Outback.

Thanks for your comment and thanks very much! Am now in Swakopmund after 3 days here I am already in love with the country!

13. Euphemia Ganiari 10 years ago

I am sure you'll love this country, there's something special in its spaces and people. If you only knew the story behind the dam on Kunene river… Anyway, want a taste tip? Go to the big super-market of Swakop, in the section of spices, and buy the one called Cajun Seasoning by The Cape Herb & Spice Company only (2 years ago it had a green label and grinder). If you like spicy and tasty, that's the mix for almost everything. In the dull and gray days of North Europe, you won't have only photos and memories but taste as well… 🙂

Thanks for the tip 😀 Will try it out one day although I can't bring it with me, don't think Western Australia lets me in with any sort of herb & spice mix in the bag 😀