rottnest-fbj-abyss I had a most fantastic weekend at Rottnest Island with True North Mark and family, thanks so much to you Mark and Lee-Anne. Everything was just gold, from monster crayfish to snorkeling with a large stingrays to capturing aweinspiring clouds on a perfect Saturday at Rottnest. And ending the trip on an extreme high down below I had my scuba dive no. 2. I shall tell the story in a few of my quickly developed snapshots, do read on.

Mark with two of five monster crayfish he caught while diving. Yes 17mm makes it look like a really cool 50s scifi movie poster (Return of The Man with Crayfish Hands!) but these were actually quite large crayfish!

Rottnest-mark-crayfish

Quintessential Rottnest on a most perfect Saturday at Longreach Bay:

Rottnest-quintessentail

Capturing the Lighthouse at dusk:

rottnest-lighthouse-dusk

The lighthouse a while later at rise of the full moon (which I shall possible paste in later from another exposure) :

Rottnest-lighthouse-fullmoon

Finally, as mentioned I did my second scuba dive lesson with my good friend True North Mark and it was even more amazing this time. Jumping, well, falling, backwards in from the tender boat and a 20 minute dive at 5 meters depth among fish and corrals navigating coral walls and tunnels. Sensational, I am so hooked and thank you so much Mark. Image by Mark, well done mate, as that Canon G11 is almost impossible to shoot with underwater:

rottnest-fbj-dive

Rottnest Bliss. Nowhere else but here.

Flemming

13 thoughts on “Rottnest Island and further abyss exploring

1. Zane 8 years ago

Crayfish? Crayfish are little things that live in fresh water creeks. Them monsters are lobsters!

Looks like you had a fantastic time!

Hehe, I think they call them lobsters where you are Zane, they definitely call them crayfish here. Yes it was a fantastic weekend.

I don't think I've seen you write about anything with such love in a long time. Are you looking to get your diving certification before Nomad III?

I don't know if there will be a Nomad part III, but I am definitely getting a diving certificate having discovered this amazing new world. My number 1 would be to get a spaceship and be an astronaut, that seems unlikely but I've discovered scuba diving gives me the same feeling.

Good strategy. Scuba diving certification might help when NASA comes knocking. It might even be on the Zero-G 101 training schedule πŸ˜‰

3. True North Mark 8 years ago

Sweet shots mate!

Yes indeed we had some fun on the weekend…the sprint to the sunset was a bit left field but we made it in the end!

4. Sam Clark 8 years ago

Hey there Flemming, sounds like you are having a ball!! I went scuba diving a few years back, it's awesome… like another world. Enjoy!

5. Neal Pritchard 8 years ago

Sounds like a great adventure weekend Flem … The moonrise over the lighthouse is a killer shot ….

Thanks Neal, yup it was a truly awesome weekend. I got my first decent shots from Rotto and I did more scuba diving!!!! and more exclamation points!!! was awesome!

Btw that moonrise shot is a very quickly developed SilverFX version hehe, I will do a proper version when I release it πŸ™‚

6. muzz 8 years ago

You are certainly developing that champagne taste for the good things in life! You might have to become an Australian if you want free and regular access to some of the most beautiful diving areas on this big blue planet. Surely you are almost there, just a bit more of the local lingo to learn. Keep it up.

Hehe, I don't want to become an Australian no offense πŸ™‚ I am very much a European. Though I might become a resident alien though as you're right, Australia is home to so many fantastic things. I actually know a lot more Australian lingo and accent than I let on, but I prefer to keep my English and accent as neutral and "Old English" as possible, old chap. Having said that, I have trouble pronouning words like "water" without saying "woter" like Aussies do πŸ™‚

1. Zane 8 years ago

Your english accent is definitely Aussie, LOL so you're half way there.

Hehe, most Aussies seem to think I have no accent at all and I try hard to speak a clean English with no accent…but Americans in particular think I sound extremely Australian πŸ˜€

Anyway as I always say "best to have an undefinable exotic accent, makes me sound mysterious and interesting" (well I can always hope)