kimberley-montgomery reef storm Sometimes I look at the clouds and knowing the science behind the saturated air, I still must wonder like a young child: Where are they made? And how does Mother Nature make them so effortlessly beautiful? The Kimberley in Western Australia in the wet season was like a secret gathering of cloud-creator gods. Every day provided us with new artful and beautiful creations and I present a few for you fellow cloud appreciators.

The first image is a great rain cloud at Montgomery reef. The following image are of clouds at the St. George Basin, masterfully painted onto the sky:

kimberley-st-george basin clouds

We sailed straight into this amazing storm at Prince Frederick Harbour (David, what is the story here, that is a strange name for a river!). My storm image is nothing compared to what it should be. My favourite is David’s version seen here. There is a reason why I missed out, Mark and Dave captured the epicness and claim they could not find me. Thanks to my fellow members of Epicness Inc for NOT getting me while the best storm of the whole trip was happening right in front of us. I was sitting right in the middle of the dining room having lunch, looking like my good self, no make-up or anything. My dear thanks to the awesome Bryony (boss-girl!) for alerting me and telling me to get up to the bow! No David, I shall not forget this anytime soon 🙂

kimberley-prince frederick harbour storm cloud

Finally, a beautiful cloud from sunset at Mitchell River:

kimberley mitchell river clouds

Cloud Appreciation Forever.

15 thoughts on “Cloud catching in the Kimberley

1. truenorthmark 8 years ago

All sweet images mate!

Funnily enough I have almost exact version of a few of them eh!

Thank you Markie, yes it was hard to be original with regards to the composition of these clouds – it’s more a case of grab wideangle and point!

2. dave bettini 8 years ago

It’s a conspiracy Flemming. Heads must roll within Epicness Inc. Where was the communications officer?
    Great images mate. Love the first and last pics.
    Cheers
    Dave

Yes it will get ugly at the next board meeting!
      Cheers mate 😀 The last image is my favourite as well.
      Flemming, CEO, Epicness Inc.

3. Andrea Green 8 years ago

Amazing shot’s Flemming, yeh you give it to the guys, bad, bad mates arent’ they? 🙂

Thanks Andrea, Dave’s claims he went looking for me and couldn’t find me. Hmmf. I reckon he and Markie wanted this storm for themselves.

1. Andrea Green 8 years ago

Yeh selfish buggers, they must have been scared that your shots would kick there butt’s 🙂

Yes, they had to sabotage me as I was clearly winning every category every day ;D ;D

That first one looks like it’s raining from the eye of the cyclone! The Kimberley really put on a show for you True Northers didn’t she?

5. Tim Wootton 8 years ago

Like the first one Flemming, a beauty! Prince Frederick Harbour is what the Hunter River flows into. Place seems to be a storm magnet for some reason!

Stunning work Flem, gota love clouds and these are some freekin beauties! 🙂
    Absolutely love the first, just WOW. The intense rain is amazing. The second is wonderful too. Quite diferent to Dave’s version of what I’d say is the same clouds. They are some wonderful formations. The 3rd doesn’t do as much for me- I think due to seeing Davo’s version to be honest lol. but the 4th has merit too. Got that new Flem processing look to it and it works for me with this one 😀

Hi Stephen, Dave’s shot is much much better, Mark’s is just as good almost and mine is useless, not going to use it at all except for telling the story here. Bastards 🙂

Cool stuff Flemming – I think I like the montgomery reef image (first image) the best with those tones and the defined rain core.
    cheers,